I got a few emails about the Google Analytics part of this post on Mobile SEO that I thought it might be useful to break it out as a separate post. So here you go:
If you are a Google Analytics user I recommend setting up an Advanced Segment that filters reports by visitors who are classified as Mobile. Here’s how:
- Click on the “Advanced Segments” link on the lower left hand side of the Google Analytics navigation
- Click on “Create a new custom segment” at the top of the page
- Under the “Dimensions” section click on “Visitors”
- Drag the green “Mobile” rectangle into the “dimension or metrics” box. Make sure the “Condition” equals “Matches Exactly” and the “Value” equals “Yes”
- Name the segment “Mobile”, test and save
- Now you can view any report in Google Analytics with only mobile user data simply by choosing “Mobile” from the Advanced Segment menu at the top of the page. Cool Tip: I also like to create a “No Mobile” advanced segment so that I can easily compare the different user behaviors.
- You can also create similar reports for different phones, mobile browsers and operating systems (e.g. iPhone v. Android) if you want to really drill down into this data.