UPDATED 8.25.14 – YAHOO LOCAL APPEARS TO NOW ONLY SUPPORT BUSINESS PROFILE UPDATES VIA YEXT. IF YOU WANT TO CHECK YOUR BUSINESS LISTING’S STATUS ON YAHOO LOCAL AND ~50 OTHER LOCAL SEARCH SITES TRY
You can create a free Yahoo Local Basic Listing by going to http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/local-listings/basic-listing/.
Yahoo has three different types of listings: Yahoo! Local Enhanced Listing ($9.95/mo), Yahoo! Localworks ($29.99/mo), Yahoo! Local Basic Listing. You can compare plans here.
For this article we are only demonstrating how to add a business listing to Yahoo local’s “Basic Listing”. The Basic Listing takes only seven steps to complete.
1. Go to the URL above and click on the “Sign up now” button
2. Enter some details about the business you want to list. Start typing a category in the Business Category box and Yahoo will bring up available categories. Click the “Next” button
3. Sign in to Yahoo. You have 4 choices; create a new account, sign in with Yahoo ID, Google ID, or Facebook ID
4. In this demonstration we chose to use our Google ID. Click the “Accept” button
5. Enter your birth date. Click the “Continue” button.
6. Edit and submit your business information. Make sure this information is exactly the same as all of your other business listings, notably Google+ Places and your business’ website.
There’s a choice to “not display my business address”. Do not click this if you are trying to get citations for your Google+ Places’ page. Below this is a box to upload one company picture. Click the “Submit information” button when you’re done.
7. Choose a type of verification. The quickest way is to receive a phone call. A Yahoo robot will call and supply a four digit number. Enter the number and click “Verify Code”
8. That’s it! Yahoo will now review your business information and email you with a message stating whether the business will be published or not. Meanwhile you can click “View Your Dashboard” or move on to creating additional business listings
The overall process is pretty easy, but it can be painstaking if you have to manage/create a lot of listings across the internet. Yext PowerListings can take care of that for you.
Yext PowerListings will automatically create/manage your company’s information for 50+ of the top local search sites. (e.g. Yelp, Superpages, foursquare and many more) They will also monitor reviews for you. Their service is not free, but the amount of time you will save is huge. Check them out here.
*Full Disclosure: I get paid every time someone buys a Powerlisting via that link. It’s not much, but it helps keep the lights on at the blog – and I do think it’s a great service. Ok, end of shill…
Check out Yext PowerListings and support this site while you’re at it!