I have been asked to judge the Small Business category of the 2008 SEMMY Awards. The SEMMYS are for the best blog posts and articles in search marketing. The awards were conceived of by Matt McGee and the judges are a veritable who’s who of search bloggers (excluding yours truly of course – I am more like a veritable “who’s he” in this group). Since I would never have been asked to participate in this without the support of you, my truly loyal and insightful readers, I figured that some of you might want to help me figure out which posts to vote for. If you’re up for it please check out the list below and either drop me an email or post in the comments section your thoughts as to which article is your fave.And remember…everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
- Search Engine Marketing Still Foreign To Many
David Wallace, SearchRank | 1/10/07
- 9 Branding Tips for Small Businesses
Nick Rice, Small Business Branding | 1/24/07
- The Lowdown on Web Designers and SEO
Lee Odden, Online Marketing Blog | 1/25/07
- Google Does Impact Many Small Businesses
Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable | 3/14/07
- 10 Lessons Learned from Starting a Small Business
Steve Woodruff, Small Business Branding | 4/10/07
- Everything is Marketing
Stoney deGeyter, Search Engine Guide | 4/26/07
- Free Web Design Tools From The Big Three: SEO Friendly Or Not?
Christine Churchill, Search Engine Land | 5/3/07
- Branding on a Shoestring Budget
Kevin Levi, Small Business Branding | 5/18/07
- How To Be Unremarkable
Steve Woodruff, Small Business Branding | 5/19/07
- How to use video to promote your small business
Becky McCray, Small Biz Survival | 6/19/07
- When Ignorance Isn’t Bliss: What You Don’t Know About Your Web Site Can Hurt You
Christine Churchill, Search Engine Land | 7/19/07
- When Ignorance Isn’t Bliss, Part 2
Christine Churchill, Search Engine Land | 7/26/07
- Top Ten Small Business Takeaways from SES San Jose
David Mihm, Mihmorandum | 8/27/07
- Branding For Small Business And Bloggers
Steven Bradley, TheVanBlog | 8/28/07
- Increase The Visibility of Your Small Business Web Site on a Shoestring Budget
David Wallace, Search Engine Guide | 9/6/07
- Small Business Marketing 101: A Guide to Growing Your Small Business
Mason Hipp, Small Fuel Marketing | 10/1/07
- Who Moved My Client Base?
Laurel Delaney, Small Business Trends | 10/5/07
- The Top 5 Small Business Marketing Myths
Mason Hipp, Small Fuel Marketing | 10/15/07
- Small Businesses Skip PageRank Roller Coaster Ride
Miriam Ellis, SEO Igloo | 10/27/07
- 9 Simple Ways for Small Businesses to Leverage Social Media
Todd Emaus, Stone Interactive | 11/13/07
- 5 Ways Small Business Can Benefit From Social Media/Networking Sites
David Wallace, Search Engine Guide | 11/15/07
- Small Businesses And Social Media
Chris Brogan | 11/28/07
- 23 Surefire Small-Business Marketing Tips for 2008
Michael Dorausch, Chiropractic Blogs | 11/29/07
- Thinking of leaving eBay and getting a professional website? Look before you leap!
Miriam Ellis, SEO Igloo | 12/11/07
4 Response Comments
Hi Andrew, good luck with this! They’re all good… Here are my humble 2 cents…
For SEO :
I like “The Lowdown on Web Designers and SEO”
by Lee Odin because it speaks to the critical issue of blurring the lines between creativity and the technical side of SEO. Designers need to focus on user experience and Lee’s account of the complexities is thorough and engaging. The idea of a partnership between designers and SEO specialists from the ground-up has to date, been difficult to adopt and this article supports it well.
For Social Networking
“Small Businesses And Social Media” by Chris Brogan because he brings to light that small business owners are in the first line, consumers as well. The habits of small business owners are often over analyzed in this space and I think the article brings it back to reality.
I also like “Who Moved My Client Base?” by
Laurel Delaney because everyone likes a happy ending.
My favorite are Who Moved My Client Base?, Branding on a Shoestring Budget and Free Web Design Tools From The Big Three: SEO Friendly Or Not? Hope this helps.
I have to say, I was really impressed with Christine’s 2 part series. The things she lists in that can cause massive headaches for small businesses but are so often overlooked.
Also, I really appreciate David’s recap at the time he wrote it. For any not attending SES, that was a good summary.
Hard to judge. So many good posts in this list.
It is hard to judge. I went through all of these last night and tried to come up with some criteria to judge them.
Check out my post today on How To Judge The SEMMYS