I am a big fan of figuring out how to get potential customers cost-effectively via search engines and other kinds of sites with a lot of users. I should be – that’s what I do for a living. But what about my friend Sandy who has a small “brief therapy” business and spent a bunch of money getting her website built by someone who doesn’t understand search (or effective web design for businesses btw) and now is wondering why no one is showing up?
I spent an hour on the phone with Sandy the other night going over all of the things she could do to “optimize” her site and I could hear the agida in her voice growing, her arteries constricting, and the general anguish that comes with realizing that there just ain’t no way it’s going to happen.
I was going to put together a long post on all of the things Sandy could do over the next few months but realized that it would be total info overload for her. So I think it’s time to take all of the fancy local search engine optimization/search engine marketing talk down a notch or two.
Sandy, if you want to get found in Google, or Yahoo or wherever and potentially get new customers, the easiest thing you can do is use a service that takes care of most of your web marketing for you.
The benefits of using these services:
1. You can give them a fixed budget and desired amount of leads and they do the rest
2. You can buy performance-based ads (pay every time they drive a click to your site or a call to your phone or an email to your inbox).
3. They can set up a simple web page for you that is designed to rank well in Google and Yahoo when people search for services like yours in your city.
4. They can get you marketed on the online yellow pages sites which usually have very high quality potential customers (referrals from these sites generally are more likely to convert into sales then from general search sites).
5. They can track everything that happens and report it back to you.
Here are a few that I recommend:
For all of you marketers out there who have the time, energy, resources and desire there are many more options for you, but for a large number of people like Sandy this really is the best option.
And if you know anyone who has a really happening blog make sure you ask them to link to your site with your main keywords in the “anchor text” of the link, like this hypnotherapy in Irvine, CA.
P.S. If you liked this article how about posting the link to Sandy’s site with her keywords in it? Thanks and good luck Sandy!