Let’s start out the conference with a little liveblogging:
Michael Taylor of BIA Kelsey started out the Kelsey DMS ’09 conference with a “preconference” presentation on the landscape of selling marketing services to SMBs.
The number of local media choices is increasing – TV, Yellow Pages, Newspaper, Radio, IPTV, Mobile, PayPerCall, etc.
Questions SMB’s ask:
- How do local media choices fit together?
- Am I reaching a broader audience or more of the same
- What are the best local leads sources?
- Am I maximizing my advertising ROI?
How are local media companies reacting:
- Forced bundles to penetrate advertiser base
- Increasing discounts with multiple media purchased
- Larger portfolios of media offerings
- Specialized sales teams
- Partnering with brand name media
- More after the sale service and reporting
Who’s Winning The Battle?
- Radio: 2.8% of Revenue from Digital ($402MM)
- TV: 3.0% ($556MM)
- Newspaper: 10.1% ($2,953MM)
- Directories: 15.0% ($2,150MM)
Newspapers & Directories have the lead in digital revenue. Newspapers meet with their clients more often so they may have an advantage.