- Stop sending me irrelevant press releases (I know you won’t but I had to ask). They get deleted/ignored every time.
- I will be covering more local-social media trends as part of the new Local Social Consulting Advisory Service I am starting with BIA/Kelsey. If you are doing innovative things in this area and want me to write about your company here’s what I am looking for, sans the usual PR filler:
- Case studies on how businesses are using local social media to attract & service local consumers and/or advertisers. “Case studies” not “advertisements”.
- Actual data on how these programs are working (e.g. CPA, monthly budgets, # of people reached by a program, Time it took to figure it out, # of people working on program, etc.). If you are not willing to share at least some proprietary information, your story gets much less interesting.
- Interesting approaches – If you have a truly novel approach to using these channels I am interested in hearing about it. If you are doing something that 20 other companies are already doing, I am probably not as interested. If you are just pitching how great your service is, I am probably not as interested.
- If you want me to read your pitch, please tailor it to me, rather than include me in your bulk SPAM blasts. I guarantee you I will ignore almost every email that has “STORY IDEA -…” in the subject line. You’re more likely to get my attention if you reference an article I have already published and how your client relates to it, or better yet use a subject line like “I reread this before I sent it and confirmed it’s not the usual PR crap”
Don’t let the cranky tone of the above scare you off. I do want to hear from you. I just don’t want to hear from you if you have nothing really interesting to tell me.